Most of us have experienced the feeling of “waking up on the wrong side of the bed” which unfortunately can lead to feeling sluggish throughout the day. The quality of your sleep directly affects the quality of your waking life including your attention, motivation/emotions, problem-solving skills, and the ability to cope with stress. The importance of getting quality sleep is imperative to your physical, mental, spiritual, and relational health.
Below are some facts about sleep health:
- A healthy adult needs between 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best.
- While excessive sleep (hypersomnia) can be a problem for those living with mental health difficulties, the two most common complaints are not being able to fall asleep (onset insomnia) and waking up early and not being able to go back to sleep (late insomnia).
- Sleep deprivation has been shown to trigger symptoms such as suicidal thoughts, paranoia, agitation, and hyperactivity.
Below are some tips for improved sleep health
- A healthy nightly, restful sleep should be seen as a necessity, not a luxury
- Regularly exercising will help you reduces stress, which will help you fall asleep faster, and sleep more soundly
- Attempt to finish exercising at least three hours before bedtime or work out early in the day.
- Limit stimulating activities close to bedtime such as television, computers/smartphones, and phone calls.
- Intense conversations with a spouse, family member, or friend should be avoided an hour or so before bedtime.
- Make sure you do not eat anything within an hour of going to bed as digestion can interfere with falling asleep.
The reImagine workbook provides you with the tools and skills needed to help others or yourself combat the struggles associated with mental health, such as those restless nights. To better understand how the unique reImagine workbook can improve the lives of those in your community, check out our recent blog, “reImagine the Way You Meet with Clients”!
Within this section of reImagine, the goal is simple: improve the overall quality of your sleep. By outlining how to remove the negative influences on sleep from your daily life and guiding you on how to establish a healthy sleep schedule and bedtime routine, the reImagine guide will allow you to identify and improve your sleep health.
In addition to developing a plan to improve the quality of your sleep, reImagine also covers other areas of physical wellness. You can learn more about evaluating your medication, how to relax, eat healthier, and be more active. As you go through this workbook you will be able to reimagine the way you live your life, while being provided with the tools and skills needed for potential change and the growth you wish to see.